Re: PL/SQL or SQL in the middle tier?

From: <pav930t_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:56:27 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 21, 4:10 am, The House Dawg <mhous..._at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I work for a Fortune 50 company and we currently have millions of PL/
> SQL code in production. Recently, there has been an initiative
> launched by our DBA's to have software engineers move the PL/SQL out
> of the database and move it into the middle tier.

Change can come from different motivations. A principle engineer or software architect that has been around for a while and seen many reinventions of the wheel can point you in the right direction for performance and reliability if this is your concern. Several other walks will point you in many other directions.

> Does this make sense to anyone? I realize that SOX could be playing a
> part in this because it's difficult to debug a production issue when
> developers must be granted temporary execute privilege on the various
> stored procedures and stored functions to debug the issue.
>
> I can think of many reasons *NOT* to do this.
>
> TIA for any and all feedback.
>
> Matt

Start by replicating and debugging your -production issue- in a staging environment. Received on Fri Feb 22 2008 - 08:56:27 CST

Original text of this message