Re: ORA-12640: Authentication adapter initialization failed

From: <James.R.Cartwright_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:21:10 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 12, 9:44 am, bdbafh <bdb..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 8:49 am, James.R.Cartwri..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>

> > Hi - I'm trying to connect to a 10g (Rel 2) database server through a
> > VPN connection.  When I try to connect to the server using sqlplus - I
> > get the following error:
> > ORA-12640: Authentication adapter initialization failed
>
> > However, when I try to connect using sqldeveloper it can connect.
>
> > I'm trying to get a 3rd party application to connect to the database
> > server, and right now it is getting the same error as sqlplus.
>
> > There are multiple oracle applications in this environment, so I can't
> > change the sqlnet.ora file.  Right now it has a line that says:
> > SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (BEQ, TCPS,KERBEROS5, NTS)
>
> > So I know I need to do something to make sure the clients can
> > authenticate through one of those mechanisms.  I thought I was good
> > since I set up an account on the server that matches the userid I use
> > to make the VPN connection, but I'm obviously missing something else.
> > Do I need to make a change to the sqlnet.ora on the server side?
>
> > thanks!
>
> Can you connect to the remote database if you set
>
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NONE)
>
> and use a database username/password for authentication?
>
> How many Oracle homes are installed on the client desktop and what
> version(s)?
>
> -bdbafh- Hide quoted text -

I can't change the SQLNET.ora file -- it's locked down. There is only 1 oracle home on the client desktop. version 10.2.02

I'm stuck with those sqlnet.ora settings, so I need to make it work. Would setting SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS) on the server side, and allowing guests on the server work? And I apologize for asking something that I could just try out, but I don't have easy access to the server, so I want to make sure my time on the server is focused and I'm not just trying random things...

thanks again. Received on Tue Feb 12 2008 - 11:21:10 CST

Original text of this message