Re: ORA-12640: Authentication adapter initialization failed

From: bdbafh <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 06:44:49 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 12, 8:49 am, James.R.Cartwri..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi - I'm trying to connect to a 10g (Rel 2) database server through a
> VPN connection. When I try to connect to the server using sqlplus - I
> get the following error:
> ORA-12640: Authentication adapter initialization failed
>
> However, when I try to connect using sqldeveloper it can connect.
>
> I'm trying to get a 3rd party application to connect to the database
> server, and right now it is getting the same error as sqlplus.
>
> There are multiple oracle applications in this environment, so I can't
> change the sqlnet.ora file. Right now it has a line that says:
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (BEQ, TCPS,KERBEROS5, NTS)
>
> So I know I need to do something to make sure the clients can
> authenticate through one of those mechanisms. I thought I was good
> since I set up an account on the server that matches the userid I use
> to make the VPN connection, but I'm obviously missing something else.
> Do I need to make a change to the sqlnet.ora on the server side?
>
> thanks!

Can you connect to the remote database if you set

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NONE) and use a database username/password for authentication?

How many Oracle homes are installed on the client desktop and what version(s)?

-bdbafh Received on Tue Feb 12 2008 - 08:44:49 CST

Original text of this message