syntax help - updating multiple rows

From: SpaceMarine <spacemarine_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 08:05:12 -0800 (PST)

hello,

i am a non-SQL expert that occasionally has to do some queries. our environment is Oracle 9. i will gladly provide more info if needed.

i am trying to:

  1. get all the rows in a table that match a simple criteria, and
  2. copy the column values from those rows into other rows in the same table.

a bit more... we have an InpectionReports table. in it, we have a row for every Product for a given PO (purchase order) and InspectionTypeID (there are multiple types of inspections). i need a bit of SQL that will all let me find all the rows for a given PO/InspectionTypeID combo, and then copy my desired column values to all the rows for *another* given PO/InspectionTypeID combo.

as i mentioned all of these rows are stored in the same table, since they are unique on ProductID/PO/InspectionTypeID.

...did i describe this well? thanks for any help.

sm Received on Tue Jan 29 2008 - 10:05:12 CST

Original text of this message