Re: Anyone having troubles with shared server on VMS 10g?

From: Malcolm Dunnett <nothome_at_spammers.are.scum>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 07:43:22 -0800

Syltrem wrote:

> I have had multiple instances where I had to kill the dispatcher process on
> 9i to enable people to log on again.
> Sometimes, the connected sessions would still work, so I just changed
> tnsnames.ora to use dedicated sessions until the end of the day (at which
> time I could kill the dispatcher when there were no more shared sessions
> connected).
>
> After you kill the dispatcher with stop/id, it is automatically restarted
> and people can connect again.

     I recall seeing that occasionally on 9i as well. This problem is different. What I'm seeing is that the listener never hands off the connection to a dispatcher (I can tell this by the processes that own the ports at each end of the link).

     I have worked around the problem by adding another listener with its own set of dispatchers and splitting the workload between these listeners (basically I have one set of web servers that connect to listener a and another set that connect to listener b). Since doing that about a week ago I haven't seen any hangs.

 > I sure hope this is less of a problem on 10g.  > I use shared connections to save on memory with sometimes a lot of web users
 > connected, never know how many thay can be.

     To answer an earlier question, I'm using shared server because these web servers can generate a pretty high rate of connect requests and it takes too long to start a dedicated server on VMS. The vast majority of the connections are just grabbing fairly small bits of data and then disconnecting - so shared server is a much more efficient model. Of course as you note it also saves on memory if a number of web clients connect at the same time. Received on Fri Jan 18 2008 - 09:43:22 CST

Original text of this message