Re: Oracle 11g placement of the alert log

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:57:33 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 13, 2:03 pm, hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > > happens to be passing without any firm foundation of actual *fact*.
>
> > > The facts of the matter are evident in the official documentation:
>
> > > "This parameter is ignored by the new diagnosability infrastructure
> > > introduced in Oracle Database 11g Release 1, which places trace and
> > > core files in a location controlled by the DIAGNOSTIC_DEST
> > > initialization parameter."
>
> > > (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28320/
> > > initparams019.htm#REFRN10008)
>
> > > Or anyone could have done this simple test:
>
> > > SQL> show parameter background_dump_dest
>
> > > NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
> > > ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------
> > > background_dump_dest                 string      c:\app\hjr
>
> > > SQL> alter system set background_dump_dest='C:\app';
>
> > > SQL> alter system switch logfile;
>
> > > System altered.
>
> > > SQL> host dir c:\app\
> > >  Volume in drive C has no label.
> > >  Volume Serial Number is D070-3646
>
> > >  Directory of c:\app
>
> > > 13/01/2008  01:23 PM    <DIR>          .
> > > 13/01/2008  01:23 PM    <DIR>          ..
> > > 13/01/2008  01:36 PM    <DIR>          hjr
> > >                0 File(s)              0 bytes
> > >                3 Dir(s)  34,271,100,928 bytes free
>
> > > ...and the lack of any alert log in the c:\app directory would
> > > definitely indicate that a background_dump_dest setting of c:\app is
> > > being ignored.
>
> > > A test always beats guesswork based on betas any day. A citation form
> > > the official doco helps, too.
>
> > My assumption, Howard, was that people here know how to read the docs.
> > An assumption deeply rooted in fact when the person I am responding to
> > is Mladen.
>
> > But as long as we are on the subject why did you pull your site and not
> > just the ability for outsiders to post to the blog? That is, it would
> > seem what some are referring to.
>
> > And, as I've suggested in the past, we would be happy to host your
> > valuable content at PSOUG.
> > --
> > Daniel A. Morgan
> > Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> > University of Washington
> > damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> > Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> Well, don't make such assumptions then. This isn't some private little
> club of yours. If it were, you could make all the assumptions you like
> about its members, for you would have vetted each of them. But this is
> the Internet, and people 'drive by' (hence my reference to 'people
> passing'.  And, since we are indeed on the subject of having a
> responsibility to people you might not be directly interacting with, a
> little less guesswork and a little more testing might be in order.jjj
>
> The reason for me withdrawing the totality of my material from public
> access was, I thought, fairly well explained on the holding page that
> I displayed for several days and which is, indeed, still available for

Not displayed for me, I just get a login screen, which doesn't accept any password. Tried from a couple of very different domains.

> The short version is: since the Oracle "community" is apparently
> filled with quite a lot of people (I am told it's the majority, but I
> don't know who they counted to get that opinion) who think it's OK to
> completely screw up a blog aggregator site -that they never asked to
> be aggregated in the first place, that I should learn how to use an
> RSS reader, that the blog aggregator's owner is a parasite anyway and
> he should write extra software to do filtering, that they don't
> personally use OraNA anyway so it's not that important- I have decided
> I'd rather not have anything to do with such a community. Now, that
> will inconvenience some (many) perfectly reasonable and thoughtful
> people. That's very unfortunate. But that's what happens when you let
> the inmates take over the asylum without a word of protest: innocent
> people suffer, and actions have consequences.
>
> When I started, blogging was about having a bit of fun, some
> interesting discussions, sharing some useful information or news,
> having a bit of a gossip. But it appears, like much else, to have been
> taken over by the ipod generation ("screw you mister, my music's not
> that loud anyway"), of which I have had my fill.
>
> Interestingly, a number of people playing the blog tagging "game" have
> started posting their 8 things and NOT passing it on. I am hoping
> that's a straw in a wind that people are at least becoming aware of
> the consequences of their actions on others.

Maybe they just can't think of 8 more people! :-)

> Anyway, we'll see. If the noise component drops significantly, I'll
> consider re-opening the site (that's always been my position). You'll
> know within a week or so.
>
> If there is no improvement, then the site will stay shut and I'll go
> on to re-consider my involvement with the other parts of the Oracle
> "community", such as forums

Love those worldwide petulant frenzies!

Happy belated birthday, Mladen! When Kennedy was assassinated, I was twice as old as you. Now you've almost caught up! (Hope my mental date math is correct :-)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  "...at some point, you know, arithmetic overcomes
all your issues..." - Bank of America Chief Executive Ken Lewis.  Last