Re: Oracle 11g placement of the alert log

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:03:28 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 14, 2:36 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> >> If they are now that would be news to me because in Beta 4, 5, and 6
> >> they were ignored.
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> >> University of Washington
> >> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> > I hate this sort of silly guesswork and innuendo. You leave anyone who
> > happens to be passing without any firm foundation of actual *fact*.
>
> > The facts of the matter are evident in the official documentation:
>
> > "This parameter is ignored by the new diagnosability infrastructure
> > introduced in Oracle Database 11g Release 1, which places trace and
> > core files in a location controlled by the DIAGNOSTIC_DEST
> > initialization parameter."
>
> > (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28320/
> > initparams019.htm#REFRN10008)
>
> > Or anyone could have done this simple test:
>
> > SQL> show parameter background_dump_dest
>
> > NAME TYPE VALUE
> > ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------
> > background_dump_dest string c:\app\hjr
>
> > SQL> alter system set background_dump_dest='C:\app';
>
> > SQL> alter system switch logfile;
>
> > System altered.
>
> > SQL> host dir c:\app\
> > Volume in drive C has no label.
> > Volume Serial Number is D070-3646
>
> > Directory of c:\app
>
> > 13/01/2008 01:23 PM <DIR> .
> > 13/01/2008 01:23 PM <DIR> ..
> > 13/01/2008 01:36 PM <DIR> hjr
> > 0 File(s) 0 bytes
> > 3 Dir(s) 34,271,100,928 bytes free
>
> > ...and the lack of any alert log in the c:\app directory would
> > definitely indicate that a background_dump_dest setting of c:\app is
> > being ignored.
>
> > A test always beats guesswork based on betas any day. A citation form
> > the official doco helps, too.
>
> My assumption, Howard, was that people here know how to read the docs.
> An assumption deeply rooted in fact when the person I am responding to
> is Mladen.
>
> But as long as we are on the subject why did you pull your site and not
> just the ability for outsiders to post to the blog? That is, it would
> seem what some are referring to.
>
> And, as I've suggested in the past, we would be happy to host your
> valuable content at PSOUG.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington

Well, don't make such assumptions then. This isn't some private little club of yours. If it were, you could make all the assumptions you like about its members, for you would have vetted each of them. But this is the Internet, and people 'drive by' (hence my reference to 'people passing'. And, since we are indeed on the subject of having a responsibility to people you might not be directly interacting with, a little less guesswork and a little more testing might be in order.

The reason for me withdrawing the totality of my material from public access was, I thought, fairly well explained on the holding page that I displayed for several days and which is, indeed, still available for review at www.dizwell.com (at least for the next few days). But I'll say it over in case you missed it.

The short version is: since the Oracle "community" is apparently filled with quite a lot of people (I am told it's the majority, but I don't know who they counted to get that opinion) who think it's OK to completely screw up a blog aggregator site -that they never asked to be aggregated in the first place, that I should learn how to use an RSS reader, that the blog aggregator's owner is a parasite anyway and he should write extra software to do filtering, that they don't personally use OraNA anyway so it's not that important- I have decided I'd rather not have anything to do with such a community. Now, that will inconvenience some (many) perfectly reasonable and thoughtful people. That's very unfortunate. But that's what happens when you let the inmates take over the asylum without a word of protest: innocent people suffer, and actions have consequences.

When I started, blogging was about having a bit of fun, some interesting discussions, sharing some useful information or news, having a bit of a gossip. But it appears, like much else, to have been taken over by the ipod generation ("screw you mister, my music's not that loud anyway"), of which I have had my fill.

Interestingly, a number of people playing the blog tagging "game" have started posting their 8 things and NOT passing it on. I am hoping that's a straw in a wind that people are at least becoming aware of the consequences of their actions on others. On the other hand, we still have people like Lewis Cunningham, welll aware by now of the consequences of the pyramid scheme, still taking part, oblivious (or just not caring) about its effects on others. Meanwhile, it's all a bit misleading at the moment: it's only the weekend and not a lot happens on OraNA over weekends anyway. Moreover, Eddie recently rejigged  a feed from Pythian which caused him to re-pick up all Pythian's blog entries going back to about the end of December, so that artificially inflated the signal part of the signal-to-noise ratio.

Anyway, we'll see. If the noise component drops significantly, I'll consider re-opening the site (that's always been my position). You'll know within a week or so.

If there is no improvement, then the site will stay shut and I'll go on to re-consider my involvement with the other parts of the Oracle "community", such as forums. Received on Sun Jan 13 2008 - 16:03:28 CST

Original text of this message