Re: screwed non-us7ascii characters while selecting from a database link

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:09:57 +0100

codadilupo wrote:
> Hello, I have the following situation:
>
> db1: Oracle 9.0.1.3 with charset WE8ISO8859P1
> db2: Oracle 10.2.0.3 with charset AL32UTF8
>
> The two databases are on two different servers, db1 on SUSE SLES8 and
> db2 on SUSE SLES9.
>
> Inside db2, I created a simple database link to db1:
>
> CREATE DATABASE LINK db1_link CONNECT TO user IDENTIFIED BY password
> USING 'db1';
>
> My problem is that if, in db1, I "insert into table select * from
> table_at_db1_link" the non-us7ascii characters are screwed, if I exp tables
> from db1 and imp them into db2 the characters are converted correcly.
>
> I'm checking the results both from Linux shell and mod_plsql webapp, so
> it's not a client issue.
>
> Any suggestion? Am I missing something?
>
> Thank you. Kind regards, Cristian

alter session set nls_lamg=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1; select from table_a_at_db1_link;

By default, your db2 session expects AL32UTF8, not a single byte characterset. Are you sure you use a terminal, capable of displaying UTF8?

What messages regarding character translations do you get from the import/export sessions? None? (That would explain)

--
Regards,

Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...