Re: Convert CSV data held in a CLOB into columns

From: jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 10:07:42 -0000

In article <1197157179.144099_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>, DA Morgan says...
> jeremy wrote:
> > In article <1197136923.818884_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>, DA Morgan says...
> >> In theory an external table should be able to handle anything that
> >> SQL*Loader can handle. They are essentially the same technology.
> >
> > - is there a way to tell Oracle
> > "look at the content of this CLOB and treat it like it is an external
> > table containing CSV content".
>
> This makes no sense.

It seems you have missed the point.

Re-read the original post and you will see what I am trying to achieve. A CLOB's content may have structure - e.g. XML - I am trying to determine if there is a method by which the content of a CLOB, when known to be in CSV format, can be easily procesed in pl/sql.

> Tell a database engine to look at a variable and pretend that variable
> is a table on the file system?
>
> Want a second shot at this?

If one doesn't allow one's mind to explore all possibilities... remember, we don't know what we don't know.

--
jeremy