Re: Convert CSV data held in a CLOB into columns

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Dec 2007 20:21:02 -0600

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, jeremy0505_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Alternatively, might we take the CLOB content, write it out via
> UTL_FILE then refer to it as an external table?
>
> As I said, I would certainly like to be able to do all the work
> without any depdency on referencing files on the o/s.

You most certainly could do this, but you would have to reference files on the OS, but maybe, you don't mind referencing files on the OS through PL/SQL? But, it sounds as though the files are different, ie, you would need a dynamic process to get them in, get the first record, create an external table from it and then load the file, or something like that? If this is the case, I don't get the final mapping of the data. Lets say you dynamically create an external table to reference a file, each time you recieve a new one. Those columns would mean something? Where do you map those columns to your final data-model?

I'd think you would have a set format for your CSV files, define external tables before hand, and the only thing you would do at runtime is accept a clob and write it out to a particular filename in the particular directory and then select from the external table.

--
Galen Boyer