Re: Calculating NPV

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 01:35:30 +0100

Ravion schrieb:

> Thanks.
>
> By the by, I am not a student. I do work at Barclays as Senr Programmer. My
> field is CGI. Thats why I posted it. OK?
>
> Warmest regards,
> Ravion
>
> "Maxim Demenko" <mdemenko_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Ravion schrieb:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Assume that I am having large amont of data in DB. I want to calculate
>>> npv (Net Present Value) like functions like a cron job kind of thing.
>>> Whats the best architecture/design/strategy for this? Please consider
>>> ProC, PL/SQL etc. How should I go about in the most efficient way
>>> available? Kindly help..Thanks a lot for your time.
>>>
>>> Warmest regards,
>>> Ravion
>> The most simple way to calculate NPV is using Oracle provided builins.
>> One possibility could be to use builtin OLAP functionality
>> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/olap.102/b14346/dml_x_monitor022.htm#i79344
>> Another one - spreadsheet techniques
>> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14223/sqlmodel.htm#sthref1943
>> Of course, nobody should be constrained to implement own algorithm using
>> pl sql or proc. The final implementation could be expressed as stored
>> procedure or executable proc program or sql script, each of them could be
>> invoked from the shellscriptlike wraper which could be put in the crontab
>> to be scheduled periodically.
>> Regarding efficiency - it is established good practice in Oracle
>> technologies to estimate the most efficient solution by careful testing,
>> so i am afraid, this topic is not exception.
>> Hopefully, you'll manage alone to decide, what from said above is
>> architecture/design/strategy/joke.
>> If you get more often from your instructor similar tasks - i can highly
>> recommend to read (to both of you)
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Maxim

Sorry if my post sounds a little bit offensive, i will be glad, if my answer could be helpful to solve your actual problem, anyway i tried to answer as good as i could understand your question, and i'm still not sure i've done it right.
So, my point is - it doesn't matter, are you a student or senior programmer, you didn't manage to explain your problem in a clear understandable manner to me. That could be my fault, that could be your fault equally well.

Best regards

Maxim Received on Fri Dec 07 2007 - 18:35:30 CST