OEM Console on XP / Connect to 10gR2 server - insufficient privileges

From: jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 02:13:24 -0800 (PST)

We have a 10gR2 database running on Windows2000 server.

I have just installed the 10g client and have run the 10g version of OEM Console.

I can connect to the database as user SYSTEM if I choose the "Connect As" of Normal but if I try to "Connect As" SYSDBA, I get ORA-01031 insufficient privileges. I have had a quick look around and cannot see any obvious solutions and am sure this must be a FAQ...

thanks

--
jeremy