Re: Installing MS-SQL and Oracle into a same server

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 12:56:36 -0800

Preston wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Preston wrote:
>>> Contrary to what Daniel says, your requirement is entirely feasible,
>>> *depending* on usage. I mainly deal with very small companies
>>> (typically fewer than 10 users)
>> That pretty much says it all doesn't it.
>> You might want to reconsider your point of disagreement since you have
>> no idea the size of the OP's organization.

> Err... neither do you - which was my point. Which is why I emphasised
> 'depending on usage'.
>> I know hot dog stands that employ more than 10 people.

> And? I know you struggle with people disagreeing with you, but are the
> childish put-downs really necessary? I was merely stating the fact that
> there are numerous small companies surviving quite happily with
> multi-function servers, so to claim that thinking about doing the same
> is crazy is obviously incorrect, without knowing anything about the
> usage.
> Besides, I said '10 users' [of our system], not '10 people'.

The intent was not a put down. But the reality of the size organization that is a typical Oracle customer is just a bit larger than 10 connected users.

At $40K list price per CPU for EE versus the cost per named user the math is reasonably simple. Try it for SE too if you wish.

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group