Re: Oracle Linux/Virtualization Software

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:01:24 -0800

joel garry wrote:
> On Nov 29, 8:36 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> hpuxrac wrote:
>>> It don't take a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing ...
>> Good lyric.
>> Lousy way to evaluate software.

> Why should we be any less sceptical of Oracle's marketing claims than
> any other unsubstantiated opinion?

I'm not counseling blind acceptance. I'm not advising anyone to take anything at face value. Isn't it Tom Kyte who has advised over and over again the importance of not accepting claims made by self-anointed experts?

What is at issue here is the difference between scepticism (healthy) and cynicism (attitude). I am not saying Oracle is correct and I'm not saying Oracle is incorrect. Because I haven't tested the claim in my lab and don't know of any reputable independent source that has.

What I object to is this cynical repudiation of a claim based solely on the person's attitude of unblemished negativity. There isn't one person here that has weighed in with a value judgment that any single data point, even a poorly created one, that supports their statement.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor