Re: Application Design for RAC databases

From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:23:30 -0800 (PST)

> Sequences can be a problem in RAC ... they are not with stand-alone.

AFAIK simply increasing cache more than default 20 usually helps.

You can also look at http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/01-2007/threads.html#01007 thread What does an app need to do to work with RAC I especially like Anjo Kolk's response - citation: "The simple answer to this is: CONTENTION in the application in any form. What I mean with that is data block contention (the obvious one) but also ROW CACHE and LIBRARY cache contention. The problem is that synchronizing between instances will become more expensive if you need to do more of it.E.g having two nodes going after the same block will cost less than having 10 nodes going after the same block. The problem is not the number of nodes, but the contention for the block."

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu Received on Thu Nov 29 2007 - 10:23:30 CST