Re: Application Design for RAC databases

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:37:22 -0800

hpuxrac wrote:
> On Nov 28, 6:57 am, hams..._at_gmail.com wrote:

>> Hi,
>> I am looking for some information and best practices on designing
>> applications to run aginst the RAC database to achive performance.
>> Thanks
>> Hamsa

> Actually the principles for achieving performance on RAC should be
> very similar if not identical to writing scalable oracle applications
> for single instance databases.

Should be but are not.

Sequences can be a problem in RAC ... they are not with stand-alone.

Optimum primary key design can, depending on the application, include a column for instance number ... irrelevant with stand-alone.

One of the best sources of information is: http://www.oracleracsig.org/

Also look, on the web, for presentations by Erik Peterson, Kirk McGowan, and Nitin Vengurlekar of the RAC Pack.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor