Re: Strange applicaton problem of :Rebuild of indices

From: nirav <shivam71_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 06:30:06 -0800 (PST)

> You won't necessarily need the whole trace, just
> a few calls to the appropriate row of v$session_wait
> when the process is hung.
>
> Also, take a look at the alert log (if you haven't already
> done so) in case it has any clues.
>
> Are there any bitmap indexes on the tables ?
> Are there several load processes taking place concurrently ?
> Are there any referential integrity constraints ?
>
> But I'll refrain from further comment until you've had
> some time to talk to the developers, and have the critical
> wait information.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jonathan Lewishttp://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
>
> Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentalshttp://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/cbo_book/ind_book.html
>
> The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQhttp://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html- Hide quoted text -

Hi Jonathan,

I am sorry for the delay. A travel to USA and then a health issue made me stay away from oracle for several weeks. I got back to this issue since yesterday and today lead developer spent about three hours with me to debug this issue.

The finding is :
The developer told me that during the batch insert, transaction timeout is happending and that is the cause of the issue. he told that when transaction time out value is increased the issue goes away and that the whole issue has nothing to do with DB, it is on code side! No error is reported in alter log, the table does not have any ref. integrity constraints.
Actually I doubt whether my use of the word 'hang' was correct. That's how the QA reported the issue, but the developer is saying that its not hang, its just termination of the process due to timeout.

In next few days or by next week I guess, the developers will take a decision on whether this is a DB issue or a code issue..as of now the Lead Developer told me that its a code issue.

I again want to thank you for your help. I will update the post with the update.

With regards,
Nirav Received on Thu Nov 22 2007 - 08:30:06 CST