Re: Object names changed to BIN$pgkQ... etc

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 18:58:15 -0800

On Nov 9, 9:53 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> >> Because I copied it off my website, have examples of both, and the first
> >> one was as easy to cut and paste as the seoncd one but was at the top of
> >> the page.
>
> >> Go to:http://www.psoug.org/reference/flash_drop.html
>
> >> I copied from the first demo. Scroll down to the second one:
>
> >> FLASHBACK TABLE test TO BEFORE DROP;
>
> >> It is there for everyone to use and has been there since the release of
> >> 10.1.
>
> > Well, yes, I know that. I was just wondering why in seeking to help
> > someone you would post the more complex syntax example rather than the
> > plain and straightforward one, that's all.
>
> I often demonstrate the more robust because by forcing someone to look
> in the recyclebin they see what is there. The easier syntax is sort of
> like using a GUI to teach. It may work but there is less learning taking
> place.
>
> <light humor not to be taken personally>
> The difference between teaching at the University of Washington
> and at Oracle University perhaps.
> </light humor not to be taken personally>
> --

Well, we have a different understanding of the meaning of teaching, then.

Take someone with no understanding of the recycle bin at all, confuse the s**t out of them by typing commands they don't need to do, and then claim it's all just an exercise in rigorousness.

Where I come from, we teach to make a point. The point being that recovery from a drop table command is SIMPLE. "Which table did you wish to recover?" "Why, T of course". "Yes, well, naturally you have to type complete gibberish in double quotes to get that back".

It warrants the reply, "What a load of crapola that recovery mechanism is". And justly so.

Presumably, on the same basis, you don't object to people throwing spare "using backup controlfile" bits of syntax into their recovery commands, or recovering the database when one data file would do: it's all just "more learning taking place", I guess?

Some of us believe that the joy of the command line is that you are in complete control. That you type the syntax needed to get a job done and no more than that. And that anyone teaching "excess syntax" is not teaching properly.

Do they still teach that you can create databases without a system rollback segment in the University of Washington? Or was that just a one-semester thing?

Oh, I forgot the <light humor not to be taken personally> tag. Sorry about that. Received on Thu Nov 08 2007 - 20:58:15 CST