Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Hasta <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 08:35:03 +0100

In article <fgqg9p$sa$1_at_news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>, frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com says...
> Hasta wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > OK. Developper gets a bug report that the system is slow with
> > 5,000 docs per person.
> >
> > But developper is aware that the system is designed - by
> > specification - to work smoothly for 500 documents per
> > person - it is not designed to work with 5,000 (or 5,000,000)
> > such documents.
> >
> > What's happening, now ?
> >

> Fire the responsible person that believed this!
>
> One of the basic rules of design: think big, start small,
> but design for growth.
>
> Always keep in mind the fact that your design specs are
> not realistic, always program defensively, always write
> scalable code (bind variables, anyone?)

That's correct, Frank. In this story, let's say that the user requirements called for 100 docs/person, and the developpers built in a security facteur of 5 or 10 or whatever.

This wont make it handle 5000 or 50000 or 500000 docs per person, for no system can handle an arbitrarily high amount of data. One cannot get a car run at 1000 mph, however well engineered it was

Of course, in my story there is an obvious next step to solve the problem ;-) Received on Wed Nov 07 2007 - 01:35:03 CST