Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Hasta <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 08:22:33 +0100

In article <1194373836.984381_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>, damorgan_at_psoug.org says...
> Hasta wrote:
> > In article <1194368023.130238_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>,
> > damorgan_at_psoug.org says...

> >> Then he or she is incompetent and should be trained or replaced.
> >
> > No, the dba is not incompetent. Read on.

> >> Reports that back to the developer who fixes it in the dev
> >> environment and validates the fix in test.
> >>

> > OK. Developper gets a bug report that the system is slow with
> > 5,000 docs per person.
> >
> > But developper is aware that the system is designed - by
> > specification - to work smoothly for 500 documents per
> > person - it is not designed to work with 5,000 (or 5,000,000)
> > such documents.
>
> Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!
>
> DBA is incompetent or untrained because there is nothing about
> that subject the developers should know that the DBA does not
> know. If the DBA doesn't know it then somebody had best be
> pointing fingers and fixing problems.
>
> What you are describing as your work environment is a change
> management nightmare.

My work environment is a third party software provider. The dba is a customer employee.

Your claim is that the customer dba should be aware of all internal specifications of a third package ?

Expected maximum response time of all queries ? Maximum size of all tables - including esoteric ones ? Rough execution time of all stored procedures ?

> I will ask the question one more time.
> What is your testing methodology for identifying production problems?
> What is it you are doing in production that the DBA can not do?

I'm not escaping the Daniel.

Actually, I am answering it right now, with an example from real-life. Of course I already know the root cause of the problem and the correct soluion to the problem. Received on Wed Nov 07 2007 - 01:22:33 CST