Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 20:29:54 +0100

DA Morgan wrote:
> joel garry wrote:

[snip]

>> Well, that's what you are talking about, not the rest of us.  How many
>> DBA's are going to be at OpenWorld?

> Round numbers I would guess about 20,000 but that is just a wild guess.

Wouldn't that be 20,000 attendants?
Of which 20% will be managers, 50% marketing/sales, 10% unaccounted? Leaves 20% technically competent. 80% of that will be programmers. Leaves 80 DBA's - tops :)

I know I won't be there (but a "con-colleague" will, lucky bastard).

>> How many of them work for those companies?

> From what I can see OOW attracts them all. Though given the price of
> attendance plus hotel plus transportation ... I doubt too many are
> writing a check themselves.
>
>> How many DBA's are _not_ going to be at OpenWorld?

> Most but what is the relevance?
>
>> What companies do they work for?  How many of Oracle's customers are
>> county
>> governments?  edu's?  I've seen Oracle in use at community colleges.

I work for a ministry at the moment - is that relevant?

> I'm sure this is leading somewhere but I still can't figure it out.
>

>> My guess would be very few DBA's, percentagewise, work for the largest
>> whatevers on the planet.  Heck, check out the online adverts - you
>> often can tell how many are headhunters farming the same jobs when
>> they say "fortune [50,100,500] company."

> You might want to factor turnover into it. Most of the DBAs I know
> at the large companies don't go out looking for opportunities to be
> unemployed and work on Windows. <g>

Lots of DBA's do work on Windows based systems. It's just a fact of life. Get over it, it may not be the most efficient platform, but it's being used out there. Get used to the idea, and stop pretending like it's a minor sort of DBA -as if only the ueber DBA works on Macs and NetApps- that works on databases served by Windows.

I know GM works with Oracle on Windows. Clustered. BTDT.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...