Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:03:38 -0800

joel garry wrote:

>>> Sorry, but you are turning things upside down. You are talking 'bout the
>>> exception.
>> What makes you so sure of that? Your personal experience or a survey of
>> Oracle customers?
>>
>> Lets keep in mind that when we are talking about Oracle's customers we
>> are talking about the largest telecommunications, energy, manufacturing,
>> and service businesses on the planet.
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/ad/images/IND_BNK_Top_1633.jpghttp://www.oracle.com/ad/images/ind-insurance-fortune500.jpghttp://www.oracle.com/ad/images/IND_RetailFact_1848.jpghttp://www.oracle.com/ad/images/ind_hc.jpg
>>
>> These are not hotdog stands.

> Well, that's what you are talking about, not the rest of us. How many
> DBA's are going to be at OpenWorld?

Round numbers I would guess about 20,000 but that is just a wild guess.

> How many of them work for those companies?

 From what I can see OOW attracts them all. Though given the price of attendance plus hotel plus transportation ... I doubt too many are writing a check themselves.

> How many DBA's are _not_ going to be at OpenWorld?

Most but what is the relevance?

> What companies do they work for? How many of Oracle's customers are county
> governments? edu's? I've seen Oracle in use at community colleges.

I'm sure this is leading somewhere but I still can't figure it out.

> My guess would be very few DBA's, percentagewise, work for the largest
> whatevers on the planet. Heck, check out the online adverts - you
> often can tell how many are headhunters farming the same jobs when
> they say "fortune [50,100,500] company."

You might want to factor turnover into it. Most of the DBAs I know at the large companies don't go out looking for opportunities to be unemployed and work on Windows. <g>

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington