Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Nov 2007 14:46:03 -0500

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007, damorgan_at_psoug.org wrote:
> Marc Blum wrote:

>> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:11:51 -0700, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Here I agree and I will go one step further. No developer should
>>> ever have access to a production database except as an end-user
>>> utilizing the application. I've yet to see a legitimate reason for
>>> any developer to have production access privs.
>> Maybe because there's some urgent issue to be solved, maybe
>> production ist coming to a grinding halt and there's a need for
>> someone who knows the requirements and the implementation and the
>> technology to get rid of the issue NOW! Production DBAs fail in the
>> first and second point.

> Great generalities. But lets pursue this. You are that developer. What
> privileges do you require? What are you going to do? Lets see
> specifics. I am really interested in hearing from any developer that
> thinks they can justify this.
>
> From my perspective ... the applicatoin came to a grinding halt. What
> is
> step #1? In my book it is determine what came to a halt. Was it
> the application running on a client? The developer use
> useless.

The DBA doesn't know how to run the application on the client, or what type of clients are supported, the DBA is useless.

> Was it a network router or hub? The developer is useless.

How is it that a DBA is not useless when the DBAs come back with "The database is fine"?

> Was it a storage related issue? The developer is useless.

Not all developers are useless in this regard.

> Did the server crash at the operating system or instance level? The
> developer is useless. Anyone that is a developer want to demonstrate
> their skill in addressing this specific issue "production ist coming
> to a grinding halt" and tell me what they would do. Thanks.

How bout this one. The application is slower than acceptable. Pretty simple, correct? Well, it is the developer who is asked to diagnose it, after the DBA says, "I don't know anything about the application."

--
Galen Boyer