Re: Problem with installing Oracle

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 14:59:34 -0700

On Nov 2, 12:17 am, dbm..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On 1 stu, 12:10, hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:

> > > I fogot to say that RedHat is 64bit and so is Oracle.
>
> > You also forgot to say you're using my guide athttp://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/728
> > !!
>
> > Shame you didn't feel able to ask questions about the script on the
> > site where you got it. We don't spam, you know: you can part with a
> > valid email address and get precisely four emails from us in 3 months!
>
> > Although you've cut-and-pasted most of my rootprep.sh script, you
> > don't seem to have done the sysctl -p bit which the original does.
> > Presumably, that was just a bit of concision on your part?
>
> > I'd first suspect that your installation wasn't quite the same as
> > mine: did your installation size get reported as 4,055MB or not? If
> > not, we have a problem. And I suspect I know what it is, because
> > you'll get these sorts of error if you're not using the operating
> > system I documented to use! That article discussed using Centos 4.4 or
> > OEL 4.4 -that is, Update 4 of the fourth version of those OSes. If
> > you're using update 1, 2 or 3, you can run into this problem, the fix
> > for which is to do an rpm -Uvh glibc-devel-2.3.4-2.9.i386.rpm (yup,
> > that's the 32-bit version of the libraries, even on a 64-bit OS). But
> > I'd recommend downloading afresh the correct release of the OS, if
> > indeed that is the issue.
>
> > Apart from that, and since I know the installation works just fine
> > otherwise I'd have documented workarounds for these sorts of issue,
> > I'd suspect your installation software next: again, a fresh download
> > might be in order. What number of blocks did you get reported when you
> > unpacked the cpio? The original article tells you what answer you
> > *should* have got.
>
> > Other than the above, I haven't a clue: if you use the same OS as me
> > and select the same package groups as me and install the same libaio
> > as me, the rules of deterministic software demand that we end up
> > achieving the same outcome! I can only re-iterate that I document what
> > happens to me, exactly and without missing out minor details like the
> > whole thing blowing up!- Sakrij citirani tekst -
>
> > - Prikaži citirani tekst -
>
> Oh I'm so sorry.. :( First of all, I wanna thank you for that guide
> of yours ! ;)) Sorry I was being so rude.
>
> I have to say that your blog is amazing. You really helped me with
> that guide and with many others. ;) I've installed couple of times
> Oracle using this guide and your scripts on RHEL 4 and never had any
> problems. But never on RedHat 4 update 4 though. :(
>
> So, I was installing Oracle using your guide this time also.
> Everything looks fine, I got exact nuber of blocks when unpacked cpio
> (those who wanna know what is that number read the blog of the
> men :)), but the linking part fails. :( I would use some other OS but,
> i'm sorry to say that, it has to be on this one. :(
>
> Maybe some other packages need to be installed, i dont know. I found
> [...]

What bits about my earlier post did you not understand?

You're using Update 1, 2 or 3, not 4.4 of the OS. Therefore, you will have to add in the deprecated libraries the exact name of which I mentioned before.

I thought it was pretty clear myself: no need to appeal for "someone having the solution". You already have it. Received on Thu Nov 01 2007 - 16:59:34 CDT