Re: Oracle managed statistics

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:09:28 -0000

On Oct 31, 3:00 pm, Altus <silverb..._at_photobooks.com> wrote:
> Once again I turn to the gurus.
>
> I have a vendor who is nervous about the Oracle managed statistics
> (target object auto). They don't like seeing objects with statistics
> older than a month.
>
> My choices are:
> 1) Fight a battle "re: are the statistics REALLY stale".
> This will be long and futile, since management likes vendors.
> 2) Change the frequency/agressiveness of the auto analyze.
> 3) Run the full analyze every day/week/2 weeks.
> Waste of resources / 8i way of doing things.
>
> Since I haven't played with the statistics area of GRID or 10g, I
> would like to take that approach.
>
> Is there a way to adjust Oracle's threshold?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Evan
>
> Oracle 10.2.0.3 on Red Hat 3.
> Three node RAC.
>
> GRID shows the script as:
> begin
> dbms_stats.gather_database_stats(
> options=> 'GATHER AUTO');
> end;
>
> Last night it analyzed 222 objects in 8.46 minutes. This left 899
> tables and 1553 indexes analyzed before September 22 (vendor has a
> tizzy).

Hi Altus,

Are there any query performance issues? Do you have a test environment in which you can replicate your load to prove whether (or not) the vendor is incorrect? I have not had much of a problem with the auto_stats jobs on a 10TB database, but I know others have. Just last week was the first time I ever had to delete_column_stats because the job had generated a frequency histogram that was killing us.

It just sounds like they are doing things by rule of thumb, when I would think it could proven or dis-proven pretty easily. At a previous employer, we had a vendor like that, and I must have been required to prove something to them twice a month over a three year period, so I feel your pain :)

Regards,

Steve Received on Thu Nov 01 2007 - 07:09:28 CDT