Re: Oracle managed statistics

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 13:46:01 -0000

On Oct 31, 7:00 pm, Altus <silverb..._at_photobooks.com> wrote:
> Once again I turn to the gurus.
>
> I have a vendor who is nervous about the Oracle managed statistics
> (target object auto). They don't like seeing objects with statistics
> older than a month.
>
> My choices are:
> 1) Fight a battle "re: are the statistics REALLY stale".
> This will be long and futile, since management likes vendors.
> 2) Change the frequency/agressiveness of the auto analyze.
> 3) Run the full analyze every day/week/2 weeks.
> Waste of resources / 8i way of doing things.

4) Analyze stats in the vendor's manner if you have to place a support call with them and otherwise use your own stats gathering approach - you can even save your stats in a custom table in the meantime.

I personally have my reservations about Oracle's auto-stats as well, though likely for different reasons, and my own reservations about old stats for queries that involve date columns and constructions like SYSDATE but doing things your own way and replicating in test for support purposes are always options.

Niall Received on Thu Nov 01 2007 - 08:46:01 CDT