Re: How to define variables for ROW update with ROWID

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:00:57 -0700

On Oct 30, 8:36 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> Assume there is a table defined roughly as:
>
> TABLE
> column_1
> column_2
> column_3
> column_4
> column_5
>
> I declare a cursor as below including a ROWID for use for later updating.
>
> CURSOR cr_cursor
> IS
> SELECT column_1,
> column_2,
> column_3,
> column_4,
> column_5,
> ROWID
> FROM table;
>
> My question is, how do I define my variables to be able to do an update
> similar to the one below:
>
> UPDATE table
> SET ROW = v_table
> WHERE ROWID = v_rowid;
>
> Other than to define one variable with a record structure of the table AND
> the rowid and two more: a record of the table structure and a rowid record
> what else is possible?

One recommendation is to consider instead of retrieving row values via a cursor then updating individual rows ... is to just issue the update statement with an appropriate where clause.

You can probably force something awkward using collections and bulk collect but do you really want to proceed like that? Received on Tue Oct 30 2007 - 20:00:57 CDT