Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Hasta <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:19:45 +0100

In article <1193490896.740392_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>, damorgan_at_psoug.org says...
> there is nothing a developer can learn on a production
> server they can't learn from reading Cary Millsap's book, Jonathan
> Lewis' book, and looking at the metrics created by the DBA.
>
> A developer rummaging around a production instance trying to diagnose
> what the DBA can not? If you can provide a scenario where this looks
> like a good idea I'd be interested in considering it.

Daniel,

to write *really* good, efficient programs, a programmer must see its code executing in production. S/he needs to get the feeling, the "haha" experience that only confrontation with reality can provide.

Figures and methods are not enough. They are too abstract. Whenever a programmer is disconnected from reality, most often he'll write sub-optimal programs.

Note that a development system a never a full simulation of a production system.

Regards Received on Mon Oct 29 2007 - 02:19:45 CDT