Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:46:32 -0700

Hasta wrote:
> In article <>,
> says...

>> there is nothing a developer can learn on a production
>> server they can't learn from reading Cary Millsap's book, Jonathan
>> Lewis' book, and looking at the metrics created by the DBA.
>> A developer rummaging around a production instance trying to diagnose
>> what the DBA can not? If you can provide a scenario where this looks
>> like a good idea I'd be interested in considering it.

> Daniel,
> to write *really* good, efficient programs, a programmer
> must see its code executing in production. S/he needs
> to get the feeling, the "haha" experience that only
> confrontation with reality can provide.
> Figures and methods are not enough. They are too
> abstract. Whenever a programmer is disconnected from
> reality, most often he'll write sub-optimal programs.
> Note that a development system a never a full
> simulation of a production system.
> Regards

No you don't. Seriously ... you don't. Provided, as I said in my post that your test environment isn't just a joke.

To look at how your code is running in production what do you propose to do? Run 10046 traces? 10053 traces? Get SELECT on every dba_ and gv$ view? Run ad hoc SQL? Assuming you are competent enough to know what to look at and for what are you going to learn there that the DBA couldn't give you by running StatsPack every 20 minutes?

Sorry ... I'm not buying what you're selling ... unless you can flesh it out with specifics about what you can do that your DBA can not.

Daniel A. Morgan
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group