Re: Strange applicaton problem of :Rebuild of indices

From: nirav <shivam71_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 19:44:20 -0700

> Does part of the load process also include
> a bulk delete of a reasonably large fraction
> of the table.
>
> When the process hangs, what event is it
> waiting on, and is it a series of short waits
> or a single very long wait, and does it appear
> to recover automatically after some time ?
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jonathan Lewishttp://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
>
> Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentalshttp://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/cbo_book/ind_book.html
>
> The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQhttp://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you very much for responding.

The load process does not involve deleting a large fraction of data in tables. It is just loading the tables. -The exact details of what the code does , I could not yet discuss with developer, I shall be able to post that on Tuesday. But this is my understanding.

The hang is a single long hang- at least from the perspective of the QA or tester -they report that the screen is frozen since last 45 minutes etc.

I shall be running sql_trace for this on Tuesday and be able to report what event it is waiting on.

No, it does not disapper automatically. When this happens, all indices on the tables need to be dropped and rebuilt and then things get normal.

Best regards,
Nirav Received on Sat Oct 27 2007 - 21:44:20 CDT