Re: In Search Of SQL Profiler...

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:07:37 -0700

Kilik wrote:
> One of the features of SQL Server that I found really useful was the
> profiler. It was really useful to have a trace window that would tell
> me what statements were executing as I ran an application. This
> really comes in handy when trouble shooting an issue in an existing
> application.
>
> I've done a bit of searching for an equivalent tool in the Oracle
> world but I haven't found anything that I like.
>
> Does anyone out there have any recommendations?
>
> -Thx

In Oracle there are a half dozen different capabilities that will help do the same thing.

One can, from the command line, enable tracing http://www.psoug.org/reference/trace_tkprof.html and trace specific events.

One can use Autotrace and Explain Plan and DBMS_XPLAN to trace events even after they have happened.

http://www.psoug.org/reference/autotrace.html
http://www.psoug.org/reference/explain_plan.html
http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_xplan.html

One can use any number of built-in packages such as DBMS_MONITOR, DBMS_SUPPORT, and DBMS_TRACE.

http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_monitor.html
http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_support.html
http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_trace.html

One can perform hierarchical profiling of PL/SQL with DBMS_HPROF (11g) or DBMS_PROFILER (10g and earlier).
http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_hprof.html http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_profiler.html

One can use the built-in packages created for OEM Grid and DB Console too such as DBMS_ADVISOR, DBMS_SQLTUNE, and DBMS_SQLDIAG (11g)

http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_sqltune.html
http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_advisor.html
http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_sqldiag.html

Too bad SQL Server only has one tool with such limited capabilities.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington