Re: Setting up db control configuration file in a different directory than ORACLE_HOME

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:31:59 -0500

zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I am using Oracle 10.2.0.3 on HP UNIX 11i.
> In my company Oracle is installed from a different login than the
> login where databases are created. Let us say oracle login for
> installation is ioracle. Oracle login for database creation is oracle.
> The umask of ioracle login is 022, so oracle login can write under
> $ORACLE_HOME.
>
> When I create database control, it attemts to write under
> $ORACLE_HOME/sysman directories. Is there an env variable similar to
> TNS_ADMIN whereby database control (emca) writes files in a different
> directory than ORACLE_HOME.

I am not aware of any way to stop DBControl from being created in $ORACLE_HOME. But one of the things you can do is to move the directory to a different location after DB Control is created. Then create a softlink in $ORACLE_HOME pointing to this new location. I would generally not recommend this practice as I like to keep everything under $ORACLE_HOME, but it is an option.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net