Re: Enterprise Data Architecture

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:05:55 -0700

On Oct 11, 6:37 pm, hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 12, 9:07 am, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 11, 4:22 am, Parker <parkershan..._at_comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > > This e-book contains over 1,100 pages of information that establish a
> > > new paradigm for the integrated Enterprise Data Architecture. It is a
> > > practical reference for the information technology professional.
> > > Organized hierarchically and amplified by more than 750 illustrations,
> > > it contains database and data warehouse concepts, techniques, data,
> > > process and object models, components, patterns, processes and views.
> > > There are downloadable example and installable database prototypes,
> > > PowerPoint presentations, database viewer, query library and data
> > > quality analysis and data migration tools.
>
> > >https://home.comcast.net/~parkershannon/index.html
>
> > Very interesting, but posts like these are considered spam on this
> > group. Please delete, repost elsewhere as per group charter.
>
> > By the way, some dictionaries do list architect as a verb now. cf
> > dictionary.com, among others, in spite of all the bloggers who say
> > otherwise. Language evolves. Heck, I don't even like the verb
> > administrate, I'd rather administer, but that's tough cookies, eh?
>
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > rocking back and forth, back and forth...http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071010/news_1b10donlan.html
>
> What on Earth does "I architected" have over "I designed"?! Apart from
> two syllables and a lot of ugliness, that is?

There could be a difference in that design is working out the form, sketch or outline for something, while architect is more distinctively creating the organization and structure, but between use and abuse such subtlety is lost. Certainly in our field design has a more formalized meaning, with a mathematical basis in some circles. [ouch, sorry bad pun]

> Language does indeed evolve... but that's no excuse for its *abuse*!
>
> Yup, I agree with you on "to administrate", too. It's completely
> stupid. Nothing that "to administer" couldn't do in less syllables and
> typing.
>
> Chewy biscuits, indeed.
> HJR
Indices! Indices!