Re: recent drivel posted by Tony Rogerson on his blog

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:39:20 -0400

DA Morgan wrote:
> Hasta wrote:

>> In article <6obuf3pljqn6v5ma6gkfhc7qlg9n1b6l6p_at_4ax.com>,
>> sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl says...
>>> Please look at
>>> http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson/archive/2007/08/23/oracle-documentation-you-think-we-have-it-bad.aspx
>>>

>>> HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO USE http://tahiti.oracle.com
>>>
>>> What a yoke Mr. Rogerson is, self-appointed 'expert'!
>>>

>> Sybrand, in my opinion he is dead right on this one.
>>
>> For me, and for others, tahiti is unintuitive and hard
>> to use (and I've been using it for years)

> I routinely use the websites for Oracle, DB2, Informix, and
> SQL Server, and Sybase. Tahiti is their equal.
> If you don't believe me try this simple test:
>
> Try the search string "CREATE TABLE" at the following:
> http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/homepage?remark=tahiti
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v8//index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.udb.doc/welcome.htm
>
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v10/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.ddi.doc/ddi74.htm
>
> http://sybooks.sybase.com/nav/base.do
>
> If you see a significant difference I'd love to hear about it.
> Not just I like green better than blue but specific functionality
> one has that is significantly better than the other.
Apparently Oracle thought there was room for improvement: http://www.oracle.com/pls/db111/homepage Note the new explorer on the left, which's absense Tony was commenting on I believe.
You can fail him for pointing to old documentation....

I think we all grow up to like what we are used to (surprise). For example I can't stand that BOL has lumped anything from statements to T-SQL to functions to global variables into one group. And I was quite p***ed when DB2 started moving into a similar direction. Taste...

I'm jealous at the IDS docs for making syntax diagrams links. "expression", wassat? *click* oh! Nice...

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau