Re: recent drivel posted by Tony Rogerson on his blog

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:53:14 +0100

> sqlserver community website. As I'm not responsible for any sqlserver
> in this shop it's difficult to see why membership should be required
> to respond to a blog.

I'd prefer to know the people who comment hence registration being mandatory, stop's the gutless amongst the ethos from posting drivel. I don't see a problem - doesn't cost you anything.

> Not knowing what to look for in another technology that uses a
> different name for the same thing works both ways - I have yet to find
> subquery factoring as a term in Books Online for example - the term
> does return a result, but it doesn't appear that
> http://blogs.msdn.com/mattwar/default.aspx
> is entirely what I would expect.

"Derived Table" was another example, that's a standard SQL term.

Anyway, like I responded to your email - it's the threaded tree structure that makes my life significantly easier; with the oracle you really have no choice but to use search, other than that you are pratting around in and out of books, deep clicking which you end up continually losing your point of reference unless you press the back button a few times.

You accept what you are used to as the norm, msdn is slow which is why I have books online installed locally, it has a link on the search through to the online version anyway - also out to a number of community sites my own included.

If you've always walked backwards then you will not know the benefits of walking forward.

--
Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVP
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson