Re: recent drivel posted by Tony Rogerson on his blog

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Sep 2007 09:26:02 -0500

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007, tonyrogerson_at_torver.net wrote:
> And the "Derived Table"?
>
> My point for sake of repetition is that you need to know what to
> search on, you need to know to add 'clause', 'statement', with an
> index it's easy - I just scroll down looking for the word WITH.
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms175972.aspx

Its the same with all documentation. If one is coming from one technology, lets say A, and expecting to find the analogies in the new documentation, lets say B, by using the terms known in A, then the user who takes this approach is just not very skilled/experienced in finding what they need.

I personally have used SQL Server and Oracle professionally, and without question, Oracle's documentation is far far superior to SQL Servers. Oracle does not even try to be the one stop shopping for curious questions, which your blog tries to insult it with. It is an extremely well structured and organized suite of manuals that the readers using it gets extremely familiar with. On the o SQLServer's documentation is about as good as any other Microsoft documentation. It will do. I found what I needed to get something done, but, that is about all. With Oracle's I know exactly where to go to find what I need and I also know exactly where to go to learn much more in-depth knowledge of the product.

--
Galen Boyer