Re: Backup & Restore

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:01:21 -0700

Cristian Cudizio wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Cristian Cudizio wrote:

>>> I'm not confortable with incremental backups, however i think you
>>> have to
>>> restore first your level 0 backup, then all level 1 backups and then
>>> apply
>>> redo logs from last backup op 16-09-2007. This is why i don't like
>>> incremental backups....
>>>

>>> regards,
>>
>> What vitalisman said plus ... you can dislike level 1 backups all you
>> want if you have a very small database. Move into the tens of TB or
>> above and you will quickly discover level 0 is a luxury.
>
> there's no doubt, however the question is about time to make full
> backup, not space.
> However you pay a price in the unpleasant situation you have to restore
> the backup
>

> regards

Backup every night ... hopefully restore never.

If you have implemented best practices ... lockdown the server, DDL triggers that prevent dropping and truncating objects ... etc. the likelihood of having to ever recover and restore is vanishingly small.

I'd focus on what I must do rather than on what I may never have to do.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington