Re: Restoring RMAN backed up archivelogs, datafiles

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:29:02 -0700

On Sep 11, 7:18 am, trub3101 <mich..._at_bassline01.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10 Sep, 23:05, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 10, 5:15 am, trub3101 <mich..._at_bassline01.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Hi Guru's
>
> > > Basically, I just need to know whether it is possible to restore data
> > > backed by RMAN to a database/server other than the database/server it
> > > was backed up from.
>
> > > I ask for two reasons really:
>
> > > Archivelogs
> > > I have two Standby database instances which have stopped working for
> > > one reason or another I now have a lag in the transported archivelog
> > > files.
>
> > > Can I restore the archivelogs from my RMAN backups of the Primary
> > > databases to the Standby? If so, how is this done?
>
> > > Please bear in mind that the Primary databases reside on a different
> > > server to their respective Standby databases. I know that I can just
> > > FTP the files across but I would like to know if this is possible
> > > using RMAN.
>
> > > Restore to Dev database
> > > Can I restore the RMAN backup to another database other than the
> > > database it was backed up from?
>
> > > For example we have a development database (DEV) that needs
> > > refreshing. Can I use the RMAN backup of LIVE to do the refresh?
>
> > > As earlier the databases reside on different servers. Here are the
> > > data files.
>
> > > Cheers
>
> > > TB3101
>
> > > LIVE Data Files
>
> > It is really important to provide versions, configurations and exactly
> > what you want to do. Certain answers vary. For example, if you are
> > using nocatalog and have taken more recent backups than the ones that
> > have the desired archived logs, in O8 (IIRC) you can play games with
> > crosscheck to fool Oracle, in 10g I think you can use an equivalent of
> > the catalog registration commands, but in O9 you have to use a bunch
> > of undocumented API's and comb painstakingly through RMAN logs to say
> > exactly which backup piece the archived logs are in (see metalink
> > Note: 60545.1, which is unpublished and you have to ask support).
>
> > If you are using a catalog it may simply be a matter of telling RMAN
> > the pieces are available and extracting the logs to whereever you
> > desire, there might even be examples in the docs (I haven't looked
> > lately, but seem to recall seeing them).
>
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > Too many classic quotes to pick just one:http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070910/news_1n10bkmoney.html-Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for all your replys,
>
> Daniel is absolutely right of course I should have provide versions,
> configurations, etc., just for the record the configuration for both
> servers is:
>
> Operating Sys: Solaris 9
> Database: Oracle 9.2.0.1.0
> RMAN is using a catalog however the Development database is not
> registered in the catalog.

> [...]

There is an example in the docs on how to restore archived logs to a new location. Simple, once you try it.
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmrecov.htm#1007473

So, since your backups are only on the primary, you restore the archived logs somewhere there, then move them over to the standby. The "somewhere there" could be an nfs mount from the standby, depending on your actual configuration.

The section in the docs right after the link above is the description of how to restore a test db to another host. The docs are your friend!

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Black Vista:  http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9035478