Re: Restoring RMAN backed up archivelogs, datafiles

From: trub3101 <michael_at_bassline01.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 07:18:47 -0700

On 10 Sep, 23:05, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Sep 10, 5:15 am, trub3101 <mich..._at_bassline01.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > Hi Guru's
>
> > Basically, I just need to know whether it is possible to restore data
> > backed by RMAN to a database/server other than the database/server it
> > was backed up from.
>
> > I ask for two reasons really:
>
> > Archivelogs
> > I have two Standby database instances which have stopped working for
> > one reason or another I now have a lag in the transported archivelog
> > files.
>
> > Can I restore the archivelogs from my RMAN backups of the Primary
> > databases to the Standby? If so, how is this done?
>
> > Please bear in mind that the Primary databases reside on a different
> > server to their respective Standby databases. I know that I can just
> > FTP the files across but I would like to know if this is possible
> > using RMAN.
>
> > Restore to Dev database
> > Can I restore the RMAN backup to another database other than the
> > database it was backed up from?
>
> > For example we have a development database (DEV) that needs
> > refreshing. Can I use the RMAN backup of LIVE to do the refresh?
>
> > As earlier the databases reside on different servers. Here are the
> > data files.
>
> > Cheers
>
> > TB3101
>
> > LIVE Data Files
>
> It is really important to provide versions, configurations and exactly
> what you want to do. Certain answers vary. For example, if you are
> using nocatalog and have taken more recent backups than the ones that
> have the desired archived logs, in O8 (IIRC) you can play games with
> crosscheck to fool Oracle, in 10g I think you can use an equivalent of
> the catalog registration commands, but in O9 you have to use a bunch
> of undocumented API's and comb painstakingly through RMAN logs to say
> exactly which backup piece the archived logs are in (see metalink
> Note: 60545.1, which is unpublished and you have to ask support).
>
> If you are using a catalog it may simply be a matter of telling RMAN
> the pieces are available and extracting the logs to whereever you
> desire, there might even be examples in the docs (I haven't looked
> lately, but seem to recall seeing them).
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> Too many classic quotes to pick just one:http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070910/news_1n10bkmoney.html- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all your replys,

Daniel is absolutely right of course I should have provide versions, configurations, etc., just for the record the configuration for both servers is:

Operating Sys: Solaris 9
Database: Oracle 9.2.0.1.0
RMAN is using a catalog however the Development database is not registered in the catalog.

Joel, I am not actually trying to recreate a standby database just try to restore and recover datafiles to a development DB on another server.

Thanks again for all your input.

TB3101 Received on Tue Sep 11 2007 - 09:18:47 CDT