Re: Oracle & DB2 source code

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:58:08 -0700

On Sep 6, 1:31 pm, Robert Klemme <shortcut..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 06.09.2007 15:53, mvsguy wrote:
>
> >> Also DB2 supports multiple interfaces such as ODBC and Exec SQL. The
> >> base code could be COBOL but the calls to the database could use a
> >> different interface than your assumptions.
>
> > Thank you for your prompt reply.
>
> > My knowledge of either RDBMS is limited; I'll admit this. Your
> > comment above implies Oracle doesn't support ODBC or EXEC SQL. Could
> > you clarify?
>
> No, Mark rather meant - if I am reading him properly - that when talking
> to DB2 from Cobol you might be using a special interface that is not
> supported by Oracle (like OCI is not supported by DB2). Oracle does
> support ODBC for sure.
>
> Things I would look at (besides the aforementioned data types and error
> handling): transactional behavior, triggers, constraints and locking.
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

Robert is correct. Oracle is a fully ODBC compliant database. There are multiple interfaces available so just because the code is COBOL based does not mean the interface is compatiable. What I called EXEC SQL is pretty much a standard and is available in DB2 and is the same syntax style Pro*COBOL is based onbut there can still be differences that require coding changes. I tried to mention areas where think problems will exit. Robert expanded on this.

Moving programs as is can lead to some serious application issues because of differences in how different rdbms handle locking, read consistency, and transaction management.

Pull the manuals for both systems. The manuals are available online. Compare.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Sep 07 2007 - 09:58:08 CDT