Re: estimated of CLUSTERING_FACTOR

From: Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudizio_at_yahoo.it>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 22:58:01 -0700

On 6 Set, 00:43, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
> > I think you guys are a little too hard on Andrea here. I've read that
> > ch. 5 in the past, and just read it again with this thread and a work
> > issue in mind. Working through the clustering on the work issue, I
> > see it is not relevant.
>
> Perhaps you are correct but my point was the same one I make time and
> time again. Don't do anything unless you have metrics that support
> doing something specific.
>
> I've seen more damage done by people flailing around trying first one
> thing, than another, than I've seen from people that do nothing at all.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

i think too that this ng is sometime to hard with people asking questions here: it is
often a good thing because prevents stupid questions, but it would be better to not exagerate.
About Andrea's question i suggest to make test. Andrea if you bought and read Jonathan
book (as for example Thomas Kyte's) you will see that every thing he explains is explained and
demonstrated with tests and examples, this is a scientific approach. So, i suggest you to make a test, measure performance on actual table with actual queries,
then create another test table on same database with "create table x as select * from y",
create on this table same indexes of original table and remake same test queries and measure
performance. The more metrics you collect more precise your experiment will be.
I think that this can be a good exercise. Yes it is better to deal with real problems, but when the real problems came there is
not a lot of time to RTFM, to test and search the problem there is only a boss that make's you pressure.
This is only my little honest opinion, based on my little experience.

P.S.
Sorry for my English, i'm trying to learn it better.

Regards,

http://oracledb.wordpress.com
http://cristiancudizio.wordpress.com Received on Thu Sep 06 2007 - 00:58:01 CDT