Re: SYSTEM and SYSAUX Tablespace Opinions Requested

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:29:31 -0500

Dereck L. Dietz wrote:
> In the database I work on at work it appears that there are many user
> accounts which have been created with the system privilege UNLIMITED
> TABLESPACE.
>
> I brought this to the attention of my manager mentioning that no user
> account should have any tablespace quota in those two tablespaces. He had
> me write it up and then forwarded it to the off-site DBA to see what he
> thought of my suggestions.
>
> On the off-chance (but still possible) that this DBA says that it's nothing
> to worry about what comments do any of you have on having user accounts that
> have quota in those two tables as well as some that have the SYSTEM
> tablespace as the default temporary tablespace.
>
> Thanks.

Oracle lets you create a DEFAULT tablespace so that users don't accidentally create objects in the SYSTEM tablespace. The same should hold for the SYSAUX tablespace too. It is simply good practice to revoke UNLIMITED TABLESPACE from all users and assign quotas. I guess I don't know what more to say on that subject.....

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net