DB Links

From: Dereck L. Dietz <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 19:38:07 -0400

Oracle 10.2.0.3 , Windows 2003 Server

I've been reading the Oracle documentation on database links. Using the information below,
have I understood what I've read correctly?

GLOBAL_NAMES = FALSE DB_DOMAIN = odie
DB_NAME = des

With GLOBAL_NAMES = FALSE, create database link can be anything:

         CREATE DATABASE LINK fubar USING 'des'

With GLOBAL_NAMES = TRUE, create database link uses global database name:

         CREATE DATABASE LINK des.odie USING 'des'

Even with GLOBAL_NAMES = FALSE it would be good practice to use the global database name:

         CREATE DATABASE LINK des.odie USING 'des'

Either way the remote table(s) are accessed with:

         access remote tables by 'table_name_at_des' Received on Mon Sep 03 2007 - 18:38:07 CDT