Re: DB Links

From: <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 03:34:43 -0700

On 4 sep, 01:38, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> Oracle 10.2.0.3 , Windows 2003 Server
>
> I've been reading the Oracle documentation on database links. Using the
> information below,
> have I understood what I've read correctly?
>
> GLOBAL_NAMES = FALSE
>
> DB_DOMAIN = odie
> DB_NAME = des
>
> With GLOBAL_NAMES = FALSE, create database link can be anything:
>
> CREATE DATABASE LINK fubar USING 'des'
>
> With GLOBAL_NAMES = TRUE, create database link uses global database name:
>
> CREATE DATABASE LINK des.odie USING 'des'
>
> Even with GLOBAL_NAMES = FALSE it would be good practice to use the global
> database name:
>
> CREATE DATABASE LINK des.odie USING 'des'
>
> Either way the remote table(s) are accessed with:
>
> access remote tables by 'table_name_at_des'

Database links use the tns alias (whereever that is defined - usually in the
tnsnames.ora file *on the server* you create the db link in) - not global database
names.
The global_names parameter specifies whether a database link is required
to have the same name as the database to which it connects.

If the value of GLOBAL_NAMES is false, then no check is performed. If you use or plan to use distributed processing, then Oracle recommends
that you set this parameter to true to ensure the use of consistent naming conventions for databases and links in a networked environment.

Designer is one tool I know that requires global_names to be true. http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28310/ds_concepts002.htm#ADMIN12088 Received on Tue Sep 04 2007 - 05:34:43 CDT