Re: How to create a service name for the Oracle instance

From: <vitalisman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:04:09 -0700

On Aug 30, 4:34 am, Raj <jkama..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 29, 1:40 am, vitalis..._at_gmail.com wrote:

> > > Thank you for the answer. I will elaborate the steps here. Can you
> > > please check and confim
>
> > > 1. Create a Net service name from my local machine for the Ora9i
> > > instance running on support-db2
> > > 2. Login to Ora92 with System account in PL-SQL from my local
> > > machine using the Net service name created in step #1
> > > 3. Run the following statement in PLSQL
>
> > > alter SYSTEM set service_nameS='suporasntest.domain';
>
> > > 4. Logout of PL-SQL
> > > 5. Create a new Net service from my local machine for the Ora9i
> > > instance but this time using the service name created in step 3. That
> > > is using suporasntest.domain
> > > 6. Try to login to PL-SQL with Net service name created in setp #5 to
> > > verify the service_name created in #3 works correctly
>
> > That looks good provided you replace "PL-SQL" with sqlplus. ;-)
>
> > You might want to set suporasntest.domain *and* supora.domain in
> > service_names to still be able to connect with the old service name as
> > well.- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks. Yes it should be SQL-Plus. When I try to create a new net
> service name from my local machine using the service name created from
> "Alter" statement from Net configuration assitance, the test fails
> with the following error:
>
> Ora12514: TnsListener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect
> descriptor.
>
> What am I mssing.

Try again, it might have happened because the instance was not registered in the listener with the new service name yet.

If that still fails, post your instance and sqlnet configuration if you want some help from this group: tnsnames.ora (on your client), init.ora regarding sqlnet, listener.ora, output from "lsnrctl status" (on your server)... Received on Thu Aug 30 2007 - 02:04:09 CDT