Re: How to create a service name for the Oracle instance

From: Raj <jkamaraj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:34:23 -0700

On Aug 29, 1:40 am, vitalis..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 29, 9:15 am, Raj <jkama..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That should read:
> > > alter SYSTEM set service_nameS='supora.domain';
>
> > Thank you for the answer. I will elaborate the steps here. Can you
> > please check and confim
>
> > 1. Create a Net service name from my local machine for the Ora9i
> > instance running on support-db2
> > 2. Login to Ora92 with System account in PL-SQL from my local
> > machine using the Net service name created in step #1
> > 3. Run the following statement in PLSQL
>
> > alter SYSTEM set service_nameS='suporasntest.domain';
>
> > 4. Logout of PL-SQL
> > 5. Create a new Net service from my local machine for the Ora9i
> > instance but this time using the service name created in step 3. That
> > is using suporasntest.domain
> > 6. Try to login to PL-SQL with Net service name created in setp #5 to
> > verify the service_name created in #3 works correctly
>
> That looks good provided you replace "PL-SQL" with sqlplus. ;-)
>
> You might want to set suporasntest.domain *and* supora.domain in
> service_names to still be able to connect with the old service name as
> well.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. Yes it should be SQL-Plus. When I try to create a new net service name from my local machine using the service name created from "Alter" statement from Net configuration assitance, the test fails with the following error:

Ora12514: TnsListener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor.

What am I mssing.

Thank you.
Raj Received on Wed Aug 29 2007 - 21:34:23 CDT