Re: what characterset to use?

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:27:54 +0200

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:05:46 +0200, "Martin T." <0xCDCDCDCD_at_gmx.at> wrote:

>Laurenz Albe wrote:
>>
>> You got me wrong.
>>
>> Of course it is not Oracle's bug if I set my NLS_LANG wrong.
>>
>> But it is Oracle's bug (in my opinion) if I have set the client
>> character set to US7ASCII, insert a byte > 127 in a text field, and
>> neither get an error nor (as Oracle seems to prefer) have the byte
>> clandestinely converted to a question mark.
>>
>> I claim that the missing check for incorrect characters is a bug.
>>

>Amen. But still Oracle will probably tell you that it's a Feature, not a
>Bug.

It is not a bug. Laurenz Albe is, as usual, having everything wrong, clueless as he is on characterset issues. In this situation you will never notice anything when your database characterset is US7ASCII and your client characterset is US7ASCII. If the client O/S displays the character correctly everything will work.
I am speaking from experience, been there, done that. Laurenz Albe just doesn't know what he is talking about (refer to his recent advise to set the database characterset to the characterset of the client, which is utterly stupid).

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA