Re: Oracle NULL vs '' revisited

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 06:42:51 +0100

>> One character set to another no equivalent
>> ORacle uses CONVERT
>> SQL Server uses COLLATE -> <character data> COLLATE <new collation>
>
> Again no links. Which of these definitions supports your statement?
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa258237(SQL.80).aspx
> (do not respond here)

<Quote from books online from the link you provided> Casting the collation of an expression.
You can use the COLLATE clause to cast a character expression to a certain collation. Character literals and variables are assigned the default collation of the current database. Column references are assigned the definition collation of the column. For the collation of an expression, see Collation Precedence.
</>

We don't call them character sets, we call them collations - same thing just called differently - why didn't you know that, you've created this wonderful you feel 100% accurate page and you don't know these fundementals?

>> Unicode string to a string no equivalent DECOMPOSE
>> We use CAST( <unicode> AS <ascii> ) eg. CAST( N'asadasasd' AS
>> varchar(50) )

Again, update your document - it's so full of holes.

And I use "We" in the context of "We who use SQL Server", using "We" makes sense because there is more than one and I'm in a collective group....

--
Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVP
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson