Re: Sub : Oracle doubts

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 01:17:32 -0700

On Aug 17, 8:14 am, mplp..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I would like to know 2 things regarding oracle.
>
> 1)Does Oracle PL/SQL now support the returning of a recordset to the
> business tier by just using a single 'SELECT ColNameList FROM
> tablename', or still I have to use the cumbersome method of declaring
> a ref cursor etc.?
> If it has not been implemented by Oracle, is there any particular
> reason as to not to implement this, I bet the reason would be to allow
> performance enhancements ,but wouldnt it be nice if Oracle provide
> both implementations and then give a statuatory warning or so.
>
> 2)Is there any GUI tool(similar to SQL Server Profiler) provided by
> Oracle other than 3rd party tools? I specify that its a GUI tool.
>
> Thanks,
> MPL

  1. Oracle doesn't support this and there is nothing cumbersome about returning a REF CURSOR. By design a procedure can't return anything but through a formal parameter list. Actually, the Mickeysoft implementation is a kludge violating the formal definition of the function and procedure concept. So it wouldn't be nice to provide both implementations, it also isn't necessary as Oracle isn't sqlserver sold by a different vendor and Oracle doesn't *need* to conform the sqlserver. Sqlserver is light years behind on Oracle anyway.
  2. Ever heard of SQL Developer? Oracle Enterprise Manager? Database Control? Grid Control?
--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA