Re: Lookup tables in multiple databases?

From: <grawsha2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 04:17:29 -0700

So, one can conclude that it is the business needs of an organization that should drive the design, i.e., no one-size-fits-all.

In a distrusted environment where databases are located on different servers, it is better to go with non-shared tables; each db has its own version of the lookup tables. While in a non-distributed one, performance is secondary issue as there is no cross-memory interactions, so shared-entities is the better approach.

Now, we come to the scalability issue. In organizations where yearly business growth goes between 3-7%, it becomes a real issue how design is tackled. I have worked in places where business grew 50% of in less than 7-year period. That is, performance has become their No. 1 issue. Here I'm talking about company's internal business and its applications, let alone the outside business.

One last thing is the GP of Oracle. As per the its TRM, single installation can support as many instance of an application as an organization needs. In fact, one can see many duplicate entities exist among databases of Oracle ERP applications.

Grawsha Received on Thu Aug 16 2007 - 06:17:29 CDT